Friday, February 20, 2009

Yesterday I had my first midterm (in Italian). I feel that it went well, but I still have a couple more coming up that I need to study for and papers that will be due soon, so it feels more like I'm going to school here, in Italy of all places. It still hasn't sunk in yet.

It's been rather cold here for the past few days - about 35 degrees. It's certainly a lot warmer than back home, but still surprising since I had gotten used to 45 degree weather. It actually snowed twice! The first time all I saw was about a 3 foot round area lightly dusted in snow in the piazza outside my window. The next time, which was actually just a couple of days ago, there was a little over a quarter inch of snow covering most of Perugia. It was funny to see all the native Perugians in their heavy winter gear in order to weather the deep snow while I was thinking about how it's probably 20 degrees plus wind chill back home and I'm sure it's snowed several times by now.

This morning we took another go at a tour of the Perugian chocolate factory. This time it was actually successful and we weren't thrown off the bus by the bus driver on the way there. I even came home with about 15 free samples of Baci and other assorted chocolates that I had stuffed in my jacket pockets before leaving. The tour was very interesting. They brought us along a raised walkway through the factory. Unfortunately much of the production line was closed for the season and we're not allowed to see the part where they make the chocolate before it gets poured into the moulds, however,
we were able to see large amounts of chocolate riding along conveyor belts and being wrapped and boxed up and the entire factory smelled like a warm brownie, so it was fully worth the trek out there (plus all the free samples of course).

3 comments:

  1. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! Glad to hear it was well worth the adventures and the original free samples! More chocolate, what is one to do but indulge...:)
    Hope all goes well with your exams and papers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the Italian test went well; must make you feel good. You did such a great job in Sicily and this must make you feel even better with your progress. I guess the Kellnberg Latin paid off.

    Great that a bus driver actually let you go where you wanted to in the first place. The chocolate factory must have been very interesting and you hopefully have taken the goodies out of your pocket by now. Must be a lot better chocolate than we are used to.

    Love seeing the posts and hope they continue and look forward to our next attempt at Skype.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmmm Chocolate!

    Congrats on the exam Chris! You need to come back and speak with Uncle Willie...maybe I'm missing something that you could pick up on and explain it all for us ; )

    ReplyDelete